Wednesday, September 27, 2006

NO on 1A & 1B / YES on 1C, 1D & 1E

Propositions 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, and 1E form the "Rebuild California Plan." They are endorsed by the Democratic Party and by the Governor. I have a mixed verdict: NO on 1A & 1B / YES on 1C, 1D, and 1E.

Prop 1A is one of those anti-democratic bills that require the state to spend money gathered from X and category Y. I believe we've got to trust the legislature to set spending priorities. The more measures like this we have, the more we cheapen our governmental system.

The "traffic" measure (1B) would dedicate $20 billion for transportation, including San Francisco projects like the Central Subway, the Caltrain-Downtown Extension to a Rebuilt Transbay Terminal, and Geary Light Rail, and 3rd St. Light Rail, and Doyle Drive approach to the Golden Gate Bridge. I am going with my compadres at the SFBC, and recommending NO on Prop 1B because the mix of investment is too heavy for cars and not enough for bikes, peds, and transit.

I have previously stated my support for Prop 1C, which provides $2.8 billion for housing.

Prop 1D is a bond to get $10 billion for California schools. We need this support for education.

Prop 1E is a bond to get $4 billion for flood prevention. Though I'm not sure we need this prop in addition to the $5.4 billion for water, coastal, flood projects in Prop 84 (which I support)...I think this investment is going to be worth it in the long run.

No comments: