Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nearly 12 Years Old, "Rent" Is to Close

Producers said that the musical phenomenon, one of the longest-running shows on Broadway, will end on June 1.

read more | digg story

**************************Read on for my own comments! -Dale

June 1 will mark the closing of Rent after almost 12 years on Broadway, according to Campbell Robertson’s article in today’s New York Times. I still remember reading that article in the New York Times: an amazing new musical about artists and AIDS has just opened off Broadway, and the 35-year old author/composer has just died. What was it? AIDS? Drugs? Well, he was straight and it was an aortic aneurysm, we learned. Since then, I’ve never actually seen a stage version. But I have learned to sing “Seasons of Love” with my chorus (not my current one, my last one), and seen my LGCSF buddies perform “Tango Maureen” and “Seasons of Love. I’ve also seen it on the big screen, the small screen, and bought the recording. So tonight I’ll play it loud on my cool new speakers. There will always be people who will say that Rent isn’t reflective of their art/music/politics/life. OK people…it’s musical theater, right??

I found that the most the most joyful and intimate relationship was between Angel and the guy played by Jesse Martin. Here are a few lines from the song they sing to each other (and which Jesse sings again after Angel dies, really sad and slow at first, and then really big and bringing in the rest of the cast, so the energy comes up again and everyone can have one more big song about Living and Dying in America at the End of the Millenium ("What You Own").)

I’ll Cover You

(Angel)

Live in my house. I’ll be your shelter.

Just pay me back with 1,000 kisses.

Be my lover, and I’ll cover you.

(Jesse)

Open your door. I’ll be your tenant.

Don’t got much baggage to lay at your feet.

But, sweet kisses I’ve got to spare.

I’ll be there, and I’ll cover you.

With a thousand sweet kisses I’ll cover you. Oh lover, I’ll cover you, yeah yeah yeah.

Thank you, Jonathan Larson, for Rent.
“No Day but Today”

1 comment:

Maral said...

i love rent. i've seen it three times on stage. sad to see it go, but i think for a lot of people, it'll last forever.

i think people love it because it reminds us to never give up because there's always something to be happy about even if it's your dreams.

my favorite song is no day but today.